Sunday, September 23, 2007

Augie Has Decided To Live



Augie has decided to live. After his owner died, Augie went to live with a relative who did nothing to care for him. After much suffering, a dog fight, worms, coccidia...Augie decided to "run at large". A brief stay with law emforcement, then a call to Pound Dog Rescue. Just looking at the fellow, one can see the suffering, and the longing too be loved. He moans, he groans, he yelps, and barks, for a pet, for a scratch, for a hug, and a kiss. Never wanting to be left alone. I tell him that he will never suffer again, but he only understands when I pet him. And so thankful to be with me!
Belle


Never to suffer would never to have been blessed
Edgar Allan Poe


Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it
Helen Keller
On Friday, October the 12th, just before the Tom Irwin Benefit Concert, Augie died. We ask Tom to decicate his song, "I Haven't Felt This Good in a Long, Long, Time" to Augie. The lyrics are as follows:
Leaves are falling in my hair, I could be going anywhere
Like upside down in a cowboy hat or watching tv sitting gettin fat
Sailing on the ocean with little boy blue or staying here home with you
I haven't felt this good in a long, long, time
I had an old freind but she went away
I'm pretty sure I'll see her again someday
Putting up her long gray hair in a bun or picking strawberries all day in the sun
Sitting on the front porch on Sunday afternoon or standing in the pasture staring at the moon
I haven't felt this way in a long, long, time
Inside of those canned goods that she placed upon her self
Were friuts and vegetables she raised herself
I can hear her say, "save for tommorrow what's left for today"
I forgot about this one thing that I had
I forgot I knew how to make myself not sad
So I take a long walk in the deep, dark woods and think of all the things that i thought I should
I feel your breath blowing in the breeze and see your smile in the trees
I haven't felt this good in a long, long, time

No comments: